Communication and Interaction
Communication and Interaction Needs:
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), Speech, Language and Communication Needs
- We use visual timetables when needed to support children to understand what will happen and when.
- We provide areas with reduced distractions and low stimulus
- We offer additional support during break and lunch time when appropriate.
- We use social stories to help children learn how to approach different social situations.
- We offer 1-1 or small group intervention.
- We have a variety of resources available to use, depending on a child’s sensory difficulty. Eg wobble cushions, oral motor devices, isolation earphones, personal workstations.
- Counselling sessions are available with our PSA for anxiety or anger
- We run small group speech and language sessions.
- We deliver speech and language workshops for parents.
- We access the expertise and advice of the local authority Speech, Language and Social Communication team.
- Lego Therapy (See separate link)
Makaton is a language programme using signs and symbols to help people to communicate. It is designed to support spoken language and the signs and symbols are used with speech, in spoken word order.
Talking Point website has been designed with these requests in mind with new additions to the site including